At the beginning of the semester, i believed that maybe they made a mistake by slotting me into a class full of American students because i thought i would be slotted along with all the international students. But if it's a mistake they made, i am glad it happen. I believed that i have learned so much more compared to what i would have learned in Eng107( I think that's the course structure).
I believe the one thing i have learned the most throughout this course would be doing rhetorical analysis. It is something totally new that i learned because usually i assume that english composition courses are just to learn how to write about different various of essays. I also found out that it is easy to do a simple rhetorical analysis but to really do a full rhetorical analysis is not easy. I find doing the first essay for this course to be the hardest because of the rhetorical analysis i have to make. Making rhetorical analysis allow me to determine the target audience, content, credibility and many more. I also learn to adopt appropriate voice, tone and level of formality.
Well i have no idea what is FYC but i believe is something to do with course. i think.
Therefore i would recommend these step to improve one as a writer.
1: READ MORE!! It could be anything, from a book, a magazine, newspapers or even comic books. Reading automatically improves your english and it will certainly help you writing your essay.
2: I also learned in this course that it requires multiple drafts to create a successful one. I believe you can never produce a perfect piece of work. But with the multiple efforts that have been made to improve the essay. You will be moving one more step to perfection.
3.One should be able to learn how to critic other people's work and also be open to critics from other people towards your own work. Criticism might not sound good but if it does not satisfy someone else, that means that you have a problem with your essay. Critic is in indirect message telling you to improve your essay. i guess.
4.Always pay full concentration during class. It is easier to absorb what the lecturer has to teach rather then going back and trying to read the book yourself. and it saves you more time too.
5.I know that you should not leave it toward the last minute to complete your essay. But unfortunately i am that kind of person who does that. Maybe not last minute but it's pretty close. Even so it is important to draft out a rough idea how you would want your essay to be. Simple points would be good but you have to make sure that you have all the details and information you need. If you are going to do EVERYTHING at the last minute. most probably you're screwed. Unless you're super smart or something then you could do it anyway you want :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
With your list of suggestions I definitely agree with reading more and writing multiple drafts. In a first year composition class such as this, those are suggestions that anyone can begin right away when they come into this course. I learned that multiple drafts are always necessary to make your essay as strong as possible.
ReplyDeleteI love number one-- reading more is soooo important! I didn't get to read as much as I wanted this year simply because I didn't put time aside for it...it was a shame and hopefully next semester will be better : )
ReplyDeleteI hardly read too :(. i don't know, somehow i am just not drawn into books that much. like they are creating movies from the books and novels and why not just watch them instead of reading them? i know the books could contain more details but I LOVE MOVIES! lol. i need pictures and movements and sound effects or whatever. Somehow only a spoonful of books that i find myself attracted too. uh huh. all the best for the following semester :)
ReplyDelete